This quilt was started in a workshop with quilters from Gee’s Bend and finished for a fundraising auction in support of Earthroots Field School. Last year I made a pair of whole cloth tied quilts for the same auction.
This quilt is headed for Project Somos in Guatemala, where the kid who picks it will get to keep it for life.
The piecing started three or four years ago, as leftovers from what became Yared’s quilt. About a year ago I took my pile of scrappy squares and cut them down to 6 x 6 squares. Creating a grid tamed the chaos just enough to make me think all these colours and prints could work together.
Some of the fabric (including some liberty prints) is left over from the nine bow ties and 100 napkins I made for our wedding. There are polka dots from a dress I modified, and thrift store odds-and-ends. The borders are made of light wool and linen suiting fabric from the garment district.
I hope one day I’ll get to see a picture of the quilt with it’s new owner.
This quilt was made from recycled linen and cotton. The central stripe is made of left-overs from Nico’s quilt. The quilt was made for Jenny and Nicholas Holmes & their baby-to-be. [Edit: he’s born, and his name is Wiley!]
This kind of stripe-pieced design is called a Lazy Gal. The back uses the same fabrics in a simpler pattern.
This quilt was made for my friend’s new baby daughter, Nico. The solid fabric is all table linens from the thrift store in Joshua Tree. Other bits are from my stash. The central pattern is a modified Amish Star, with the top and bottom re-arranged. I think it looks like a flying turtle. Update: Nico is a year old!